Rafael Nadal Wins Wimbledon 2008

Rafael Nadal Wins Wimbledon 2008

Rafael Nadal holds up the Wimbledon trophy after winning his first title on Sunday, ending Roger Federer‘s five-year reign. At four hours and 48 minutes, it was the longest final in Wimbledon history.

Nadal, 22, prevailed after winning two sets, losing two sets and then finally winning fifth match at 6-4, 6-4, 6-7 (5), 6-7 (8), 9-7. He became the first man to win the French Open (also against Federer) and Wimbledon in the same year since Bjorn Borg in 1980.

After his winning match point at Wimbledon, Nadal fell to the ground and started to cry. He then pulled himself together and ran up into the stands to hug his parents and his uncle/coach Toni Nadal. Touching moment.

¡FELICIDADES, NADAL!

FYI: Venus Williams defeated younger sister Serena in straight sets: 7–5, 6–4. Together, they dominated in doubles over Lisa Raymond and Samantha Stosur: 6–2, 6–2.

85+ pictures inside of Rafael Nadal winning Wimbledon 2008…

who won wimbledon rafael nadal 01
who won wimbledon rafael nadal 83
who won wimbledon rafael nadal 84
who won wimbledon rafael nadal 85

Frazer Harrison/Getty

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » Show All
Nadal fan @ 07/06/2008 at 6:56 pm

congrats rafa!You are the best!

viva Rafa @ 07/06/2008 at 7:01 pm

Congratulations to a well deserved win!!

aww im happy 4 him. i was kinda sad coz i support federer but he played so well and the game was intense lol

LuckyL @ 07/06/2008 at 6:07 pm

Sam @ 07/06/2008 at 6:04 pm

Thanks, LuckyL. I can see why people like Nadal, because it’s hard not to like him! He’s definitely the new wave, and he’s handling it beautifully; no arrogance or unnecessary rhetoric, just pure, good tennis. However, I have to agree with your sister. Federer just strikes some chord with me, probably because I’ve been watching him play for so long.
__________
I know, it’s so awesome. I know I have a thing for underdogs, so that probably plays into as well. They really are such awesome players, no one should be bad mouthing either, and as the announcers said, it’s really difficult to call what Federer did today a “loss.” LOL Björn Borg must be happy! Jk!
————————————————————————————-

# 35 LuckyL @ 07/06/2008 at 6:08 pm

I also enjoy the personality of Nadal and I love how his uncle trained him, just his entire history up to this point.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Don’t forget, he’s also sooo fcuking sexy and beautiful to look at!!!!

This is truely a great weekend first Venus, then Rafael Nadal, the two ppl I was rooting for won Wimbledon!!!!!! :) :) :)

ENHORABUENA RAFA!!!!!!

MADRE MIA QUE GUAPO!

What a final, this had everything as a tennis fan you could not have asked for more. Roger & Rafa are the greatest champions ever but Rafa has the complete package! My mother and I were just going crazy for him, the Reign of Rafa has finally begun not just the King Of Clay!

That was one of the best wimbledon finals. Congratulations to both Rafael and Venus. They really deserved to win, Federer gave a ggod game, though, and he’s still my favorite. All in all, it was a great wimbledon.

Congrats to Rafa, he is the best!!!
España triunfa en el deporte este año!!!!
Arriba Rafa Nadal!!

I spent all day watching this match and was thrilled with the outcome. I can’t believe how into tennis I get, I get so nervous pulling for someone to win, it’s just ridiculous. I was cheering for Nadal and thought he was screwed after that 4th set, but I think him making Federer run all over the place the previous four sets took its’ toll and he just wasnt’ willing to give up. I actually felt bad for Fed, even though I’m sick of him winning everything. He cried and then I really felt horrible.

love him, but i love fed too.

well earned win from RAFA! It was the tightest match ever, and I am so thrilled with the outcome. Such great tennis.

Thanks Jared! WE love Rafa!

Catherine @ 07/06/2008 at 7:49 pm

They are both winner, is a fact ;)
But Nadal is just amazing. I love the way he play, and today he show that he was the winner.

Este es el año de Rafa, es un Campeón.

woowww RAFA!!!!!…asi se hace!!! >>>orgullosa de ser española<<<!!!

por fin le ganaste a fereder!!……RAFA NADAL EL MEJOR!!!..

campeones de la EUROCOPA y campeones de WIMBLEDON!!!:::PODEMOS

He deserved it. Federer and Nadal came across as humble people!

33 Nice @ 07/06/2008 at 6:07 pm

Is it true that the French sporting press call him the construction worker because of his cut off shirts? I laughed when I read that. Congrats. He seems very happy.
——-
I like the way he dresses. He looks great! Better than Federer, imo.
This win was not a fluke. He was in the last two finals, and he won the French Open. He is superb.

he’s a fantastic athlete and one hawt man. those arms!! swooon.

John McEnroe said it was the best Wimbeldon final that he had ever seen

Between my shift @ TU and this match ! – It was heart pounding ! Back and forth swapping between the best tennis champs in my lifetime. Jesus Mary !!!!!!!!!!!

After Nadal’s win @ the French Open, I thought Fed would just destroy him. OMG Nadal was just awesome. He was just out for blood ! Nadal wasn’t going to give Federer his 6th win, which would be a historical moment @ Wimbledon and for Roger Fed. The expression in his face was was heartbreaking. I guess this is what my Dad (in his generation) would say – AGONY OF DEFEAT !

Just RAW TENNIS – spectacular back and forth swapping, and won by the slimmest margin ! True Grit !

OH WHAT A NIGHT ! Here’s to Rafa and Spain.

What a bold statement from John McEnroe. He just said Rafael Nadal is # 1 in his view.

68 onmyown @ 07/06/2008 at 8:35 pm

——-
RN won 33 games to RF’s 29. That’s good.
I don’t like it when people win a tennis match having won less games than the loser (like 2-6, 7-6, 7-6, for example). Those are the rules, but I still don’t like it.

Was there and saw Nadal defeating Federer. THAT WAS GR8!!!
Enjoyed every single sec of the game and Nadal more than ever deserved to win. Today we had one of the best tennis games in recent history. Glad they got to play 5 sets but my heart rate was very high. Parabens Nadal!!
His speech was very touching, he is just great and slowly will get to the throne.
Well done boy, Deus te abencoe!!!

Amazing Match Nadl played amazing best final i have ever seen Congrats Rafa

Congratulations to William sisters for a great cme back year. They kept the American flag flying high there.

GAH! roger should’ve won!
i’m so upset :(!

i’m so happy rafa is great is the best vamos rafa and thank you

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » Show All