Top Stories

Jussie Smollett Latest News, Photos, and Videos

Jussie Smollett Jokes He's on 'Quarantine Day 421' - Watch (Video)

Jussie Smollett is keeping himself busy with music.

The 37-year-old Empire actor posted a video of himself singing on Wednesday (March 25) on his Instagram amid the ongoing global health crisis while in quarantine – although his caption might have double meaning.

PHOTOS: Check out the latest pics of Jussie Smollett

“Quarantine day 421…hope y’all are staying safe. Spread love and kindness… not Rona,” he captioned the post of himself singing Stevie Wonder‘s “A Place in the Sun.”

At the same time, Jussie is still awaiting his trial for allegedly staging a hate crime against himself in Chicago, which he denies.

Many stars are using Instagram Live to put on live shows and virtual tours. Find out who else…

Watch Jussie‘s performance…

Jussie Smollett's Return to Court Was a Chaotic Scene

  • Jussie Smollett was back in court and the scene outside the courthouse was filled with chaos – TMZ
  • These celeb sisters had a public fight and now they’re bonding again – Just Jared Jr
  • Beyonce performed one of Kobe Bryant‘s favorite songs at his celebration of life – Lainey Gossip
  • Justin Bieber made a surprise appearance at Kanye West‘s Sunday Service – DListed
  • Watch an 86-year-old woman sink a 94-foot putt to win a new car – TooFab
  • Frankie Muniz had a Magic Mike moment that he says he’ll regret – Towleroad
  • Jenna Ortega is sharing her thoughts on the You fan theories – Just Jared Jr

Jussie Smollett Pleads Not Guilty to New Charges for Allegedly Staging Attack

Jussie Smollett has entered a not guilty plea to the new charges brought against him.

The 37-year-old actor entered the plea on Monday (February 24) to the six new charges he received earlier this month for allegedly staging a hate crime and filing a false police report back in January 2019, The Chicago Tribune reports.

Jussie and his lawyers appeared in court in Chicago, asking for a delay in the arraignment, but the judge dismissed the delay.

Jussie‘s bond was set at $20,000 and he was released on his own recognizance. He is due back in court on March 18.

Jussie has been accused of lying to the police in Chicago after claiming that he was attacked outside of his apartment. He had said that the alleged attackers poured bleach on him, used racial and homophobic slurs, and even put a rope around his neck. It was later discovered that Jussie paid two men to carry out the attack, though he still maintains his innocence.

Back in early 2019, the initial charges against Jussie were dropped in exchange for the forfeiture of the $10,000 he paid in bail money.

Find out if Jussie Smollett will be returning for the series finale of Empire.

Jussie Smollett's Lawyer Releases a Scathing Statement After Indictment

Jussie Smollett‘s lawyer is speaking out following his indictment earlier in the day.

“After more than five months of investigation, the Office of the Special Prosecutor has not found any evidence of wrongdoing whatsoever related to the dismissal of the charges against Mr. Smollett,” Tina Glandian shared with press this afternoon (February 11), after Jussie is facing six counts of disorderly conduct from a grand jury.

She added, “Rather, the charges were appropriately dismissed the first time because they were not supported by the evidence.”

“The attempt to re-prosecute Mr. Smollett one year later on the eve of the Cook County State’s Attorney election is clearly all about politics not justice.”

Jussie has been accused of lying to the police in Chicago after claiming that he was attacked outside of his apartment last year. Charges were dropped in exchange for the forfeiture of the $10,000 he paid in bail money.

Click inside to read the full statement from Jussie Smollett’s lawyer, Tina Glandian…More Here! »

Jussie Smollett Indicted on Six Counts for Allegedly Staging Attack

Jussie Smollett is facing a six-count indictment that stems from the alleged hate crime that he has been accused of faking.

Charges were made against the Empire actor last year, but they were dropped by the state’s attorney’s office. Now, six counts of disorderly conduct have been filed in the case.

Jussie has been accused of lying to the police in Chicago after claiming that he was attacked outside of his apartment. He had said that the alleged attackers poured bleach on him, used racial and homophobic slurs, and even put a rope around his neck. It was later discovered that Jussie paid two men to carry out the attack, though he still maintains his innocence.

Back in early 2019, the initial charges against Jussie were dropped in exchange for the forfeiture of the $10,000 he paid in bail money.

Jussie is due in court on February 24, according to Variety.

READ MORE: Will Jussie Smollett Return for ‘Empire’ Series Finale?

Jussie Smollett Will Not Return for 'Empire' Series Finale

Don’t expect to see Jussie Smollett in the series finale of Empire.

Fox entertainment president Michael Thorn says the 37-year-old actor will not be a part of the May finale of the show’s six-season run.

“We’re not going to bring Jussie back to the show,” Michael told TVLine.

“There were a number of factors that went into the decision to not bring him back,” he continued. “There were many points of view about if he should come back or if he shouldn’t. As hard as a decision as that was, for us — and when I say us I mean the network, the studio and the producers — it felt like it was in the best interests of the show and the cast.”

“Our hope is that all of the controversy surrounding Jussie doesn’t overshadow the show,” Michael added, “which we think is bigger than him.”

Jussie was written out of the final episodes of season five after claiming he was attacked by two men who made racist and homophobic comments. Jussie Smollett was then accused of making up the attack and charged with fabricating a false police report.

READ MORE: Federal Judge Refuses to Dismiss City of Chicago Lawsuit Against Jussie Smollett

Federal Judge Refuses to Dismiss City of Chicago Lawsuit Against Jussie Smollett

The lawsuit against Jussie Smollett by the City of Chicago will not be dropped, according to a federal judge on Tuesday (October 22).

Judge Virginia M. Kendall rejected Jussie‘s contention that he should not be made to pay $130,000 in police overtime costs, plus $260,000 in damages, because “he could not have foreseen how seriously the police would take his hate crime report,” according to Variety.

The judge also blamed Jussie‘s legal team for their “attempts to muddy the waters with irrelevant arguments.”

Jussie claimed to police back in January that he was assaulted by two men who shouted racist and homophobic slurs. After an extensive investigation, the city concluded that he staged the attack. He was arrested and indicted on 16 counts of filing a false police report, but the charges were later dismissed. He maintains that he is innocent to this day.

The City of Chicago sued Jussie for the fees required for the investigation, which his legal team contested as attempting to improperly re-litigate the case.

“The natural, ordinary and reasonable consequence of a police report like this one — a racist, homophobic physical assault in which masked attackers invoked the President of the United States’ official campaign slogan — is an intensive, sprawling investigation like the one that took place. Smollett contends that police overtime pay is not ‘foreseeable in the normal course of events,’ but this is hardly the normal course of events — most crime victims, for instance, do not have the opportunity to discuss the crime on Good Morning America. The allegations were taken seriously by the Chicago Police Department in significant part due to the high profile of the claimant and the extreme nature of the accusations,” the judge wrote.

READ MORE: Jussie Smollett Reacts to Being Compared to Student Who Lied About Having Her Dreadlocks Cut by Bullies