Angelina Jolie recently gave an interview with Australia’s TV Week where she chatted about her love Brad Pitt, war hero and subject of Unbroken Louis Zamperini, and more.

Here’s what the 39-year-old actress had to share with the mag:

On the distance between her & Brad Pitt while filming Unbroken and Fury: “He was supportive from a distance and it was quite romantic in a way. We decided to be of that time when we could imagine he was in the European theatre and I was in the Pacific theater and we wrote hand-written letters to each other that were very connecting for us, thinking of the people that were separated for months if not years at a time back then.”

On visiting Louis in the hospital before his death: “I brought him the film on my laptop in the hospital and it was amazing seeing someone at the end of their life watching their life unfold again, at the same time their body was shutting down. He wanted me to make the movie to show something hopeful about the strength of the human spirit that can pull us through. He reminded me to have my surgery in the year that I did and he reminded me to appreciate every day of my life.”

For more from Angelina, visit TV Week.

ABC

2,335 Responses to “Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Wrote Love Notes to Each Other While Filming Across the Globe”

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 794 » Show All

1. 1
    Aniston#1 Says:

2. 2
    XoXo Says:

That’s so romantic. In this day of social media and texting, the art of love letter writing is most certainly becoming obsolete. I wonder what they write to each other….

3. 3
    justin theroux is hot Says:

Brad and Angelina both idiots who need to grow up.

Druggie, making out with brother
    **** and a man who looks so haggard. Guess his age caught up to him!

4. 4
    Sweet Says:

So Sweet

5. 5
    Passing Through Says:

# 601 Phool. @ 07/31/2014 at 8:47 am
    Re: Michelle Rodriquez…she’s having sex with that High School Musical kid about like Tammy is having sex – at all. As in NOT. B-E-A-R-D and P-U-R-S-E. Looking like she rally is bisexual is more palatble to America than being a lesbian. And if he’s not gay, then I’m giving up chocolate – and that ain’t ever gonna happen. Either that or the two of them are desparate for attention. Could be both actually…

6. 6
    marina Says:

Awesome advice from Louis Z. I am reading his memories and it really teaches us the hardships of war and to appreciate life.
    How thoughtful of her, and nice idea about the letters w/Brad :)

7. 7
    Lol Says:

LOL trolls allways stalking the JP’s instead of posting on Manistons thread, so sweet to see where your loyalties lay.

8. 8
    Passing Through Says:

# 3 justin theroux is hot @ 07/31/2014 at 12:12 pm
    Correction – Squiggy is SHORT.

9. 9
    awwwww Says:

How romantic. swoon

10. 10
    marina Says:

@Lol:
    I was reading a different article and I read a post that sumes everything, paraphrasing:
    Haters have no life of their own, they spent their time thinking about their victim…
    Sad, sad, sad.

11. 11
    Phool. Says:

Bringing posts over here before the Screaming in the Ocean and Meltdowns
    Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Wrote Love Letters to Each Other While Apart
    ==========================================================
    07/31/2014 10:40AM
    Handwritten love letters from Brad Pitt? Only one woman is that lucky.
    Angelina Jolie, 39, revealed to Australia’s TV Week magazine that she and Pitt, 50, sent handwritten letters to each other while they were filming on opposite sides of the world.
    The actress and human rights activist was directing Unbroken, a biopic about World War II hero Louis Zamperini, in Australia, while Pitt was in London filming Fury, about a tank crew fighting the Nazis.
    “He was supportive from a distance, and it was quite romantic in a way,” she says.
    “We decided to be of that time, when we could imagine he was in the European theater and I was in the Pacific theater, and we wrote handwritten letters to each other that were very connecting for us, thinking of the people that were separated for months, if not years, at a time back then.”
    Jolie also told the magazine she was able to show a rough cut ofUnbroken to Zamperini shortly before he died at age 97 on July 2. “I brought him the film on my laptop in the hospital, and it was amazing seeing someone at the end of their life watching their life unfold again, at the same time their body was shutting down,” she says.
    “He wanted me to make the movie to show something hopeful about the strength of the human spirit that can pull us through. He reminded me to have my surgery in the year that I did, and he reminded me to appreciate every day of my life.”
    Jolie underwent a preventive double mastectomy in 2013, while she was preparing to direct Unbroken.
    Next up for Jolie and Pitt: making a movie together.
    Universal Pictures recently announced that the engaged couple will work on an “intimate, character-driven drama,” By the Sea. Jolie and Pitt will both star in the movie, with Jolie writing and directing.
    Jolie’s Unbroken will premiere Christmas Day while Pitt’s Fury is set for November.
    Shortcut to: http://www.people.com/article/angelina-jolie-brad-pitt-handwritten-love-letters-unbroken-fury?xid=rss-topheadlines&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

12. 12
    Phool. Says:

Angelina Jolie gives HPFA a sneak peak at Unbroken
    ===========================================
    Angelina Jolie gave HFPA members a sneak peek at her latest film, Unbroken, the incredible story of former Olympic track star Lou Zamperini, although she is still editing it and it is not due to be released until Christmas.
    After screening an eight-minute clip at Universal Studios, the actress answered questions about directing the movie and about Zamperini, whose plane was shot down in the Pacific during World War 11.
    He survived without food and water for 47 days until washing up on a Japanese island where he was taken prison and tortured for two years. Zamperini died on July 2, but not before Angelina had shown him a rough cut of the film on her laptop while he was in hospital.
    “He was a mentor and a friend and a father to all of us,” she said. “He was a great man. They say you should never meet your heroes but I met mine and he was extraordinary.”
    A film of Zamperini’s life story has been in the works since the late 1950s when Universal bought the rights to his book. Tony Curtis was originally due to star in it and then, much later, Nicolas Cage and, later still Ashton Kutcher were mentioned.
    But it was not until Angelina Jolie came across the story and wanted to direct it that the project finally got under way with the relatively unknown British actor Jack O’Connell in the starring role.
    Shortcut to: http://www.hfpa.org/2014/07/angelina-jolie-gives-hfpa-sneak-peek-unbroken/

13. 13
    Phool. Says:

Jolie in the tz-interview, “Zamperini was my hero”
    =======================================
    Interview: Dierk Sindermann-Updated: 31.07.2014 – 15:25
    Los Angeles – The life history of world-class runner Louis Zamperini is made for a film adaptation. Angelina Jolie has taken her and talks about the legendary U.S. athlete.
    He converted from the young rebels to world-class runner, steel at the 1936 Berlin Olympics Hitler’s personal flag, survived as a U.S. airman after his crash on the South Pacific 47 days in the dinghy, was captured and tortured in a Japanese camp. The torture could not break Louis Zamperini. Therefore is the name of movie in which the life of the legendary U.S. athletes will be honored, even “Unbroken”. It was not given the chance to experience the premiere in December. Zamperini died in July 97 The director mourns him as a father. Your Name: Angelina Jolie.
    Was he a hero for you?
    Jolie: The folk wisdom says that you can never meets his hero. For me this is not true. I have met my hero. He was an exceptional man.
    What have you learned from him?
    What has he done for you personally good?
    Jolie: He helped me in the difficult times in which I had my breast surgery. He always reminded me again about how important it is to enjoy every day of my life. He taught me games that I should play with my kids.
    Has Louis still can see how you immortalize him in the movie?
    Jolie: I have loaded me a rough draft on my laptop and showed him in the hospital. It made him happy. By the end of his life, a smile was on his face.
    Were you at his funeral?
    Jolie: I and the whole crew. We cried not only on his grave, but later again and again, as will have cut the film. We were aware that you will never encounter another Louis Zamperini.
    What had brought on his trail?
    Jolie: I wanted to direct and was looking for a substance that was close to my heart. Then I remembered this story in your hands. I went home and said to Brad: “Honey, I ‘Unbroken’ found.” Brad replied: “The circulating since an eternity by Hollywood. Many were interested, but in the end never wanted a shoot the film. ”
    Did Louis that?
    Jolie: When I met him he said “do to girls. I’m not getting any younger. ”
    And how you have managed to loose money move for the film?
    Jolie: I’ve prepared a presentation and they have tried to bring to the man. After the last big sales pitch I’ve heard nothing for three days. I felt sick with excitement. When at last came the promise, I sent Brad to the roof and leave it there to hoist the American flag.
    Sounds strange patriotic for you.
    Jolie: It had nothing to do with patriotism. Louis lived in a house on the hill above us, and I had promised him: “If we get the green light, the flag goes up.” So he could see that after 57 years, finally was something out of the movie about him.
    A triumphant moment for Zamperini was his participation in the 5000-meter race in Berlin in 1936. Have you shot the scenes at the Olympic Stadium?
    Jolie: No, for reasons of cost on a godforsaken sports field in Australia (which was transformed into the stadium later by computer technology). Where was the starting line? Where was Hitler’s box? Everything was left to our imagination. Since I came to the trick to let balloons fly as marking points. Thus, the actor looked at least on the same point.
    The agony in the Japanese internment camps could be found Louis to his inner strength. Can you understand personally?
    Jolie: I come from a broken home and I did not know if I would ever have family and children. But I decided to work hard to even build a family. I wanted to be a good mother. I decided to take despite the temptations of my past course forward. Nowadays I spend a lot of time of my life with people in need and suffering. The pain that I have endured, is nothing compared to theirs.
    The daily deaths of innocents in Gaza is testimony. Can you how to do something about it in Hollywood as an individual or someone?
    Jolie: There are many people who have publicly turned against it. You have to de-politicize the issue and only address the humanitarian situation. I can not imagine that there is someone whose heart does not break when he sees the suffering of so many children to me. I as a parent have to force them to make the news on TV or read the paper myself formally. If I knew what I could say or do to end this conflict and bring about at least a truce, I would do it immediately. By God, I wanted a solution to have.
    How about the: rule the world Let women. Would it then be less war?
    Jolie: Certainly, women have it in them to fight for something in which they believe. But we also have the inner need for dialogue and justice. We think of our children and to the children of others. We know what it means to lose them. We see her dying all over the world and we cry. Of course, so do men, but women, we would do our best to avoid conflicts.
    Have you shown your children “Unbroken”, where the horrors of war plays a major role?
    Jolie: My two sons, ten-year and twelve-year-olds have seen the movie. You have then asked me many questions about God and survival. And of course Louis.
    Are there parallels between Louis’ and your life?
    Jolie (smiles): I too have had my rebellious years. And I’m sure that I still have. We all have that fire in us. Only it must be steered in the right direction, so that it causes something positive and useful. I’ve learned to do that. When I could not, I was very self-destructive.
    While you directed the film in Australia, Brad was at the filming of “Fury” in London. Have you kept in touch via Skype and email?
    Jolie: We worked for the first time at the same time in different places and decided to make these months of separation something romantic. We have sent us the old-fashioned letters. Handwritten letters. It was very connecting.
    What the question brings us all the questions. Are there any plans for marriage?
    Jolie: No, not at the moment (smiles mischievously). And if there were, I would not tell.
    Google Translated: http://www.tz.de/stars/angelina-jolie-louis-zamperini-war-mein-held-3744684.html

14. 14
    Phool. Says:

#Passing Through @ 07/31/2014 at 12:19 pm

LOL, I can say in this instance your chocolate is safe.

15. 15
    busted Says:

Phool.
    I love when you post articles on a new thread.. Trolls go in meltdown.

16. 16
    well Says:

I bet stalkers Ticky and Tacky will soon say they wrote love letters to each other. LOL.

17. 17
    Tweet Says:

stephanie ‏@StephhMarie_13 now

Brad Pitt is 50 and he’s still a sexy sex god

18. 18
    Phool. Says:

#busted @ 07/31/2014 at 12:27 pm

Ssshhh don’t say it out aloud, I still have major catching up to do, hence contributing towards the meltdown, just keep your windows closed you the screaming in the ocean is about to start. Busted as I’m already on major pain killers, so screaming in teh ocean is bouncing off me LOL.

19. 19
    valis202 Says:

@Passing Through:
    Correction – Squiggy is SHORT.
    ————————————————————————————————
    And very Orange. If I didn’t know better I would say that he is actually an Oompa Loompa in disguise.

20. 20
    Ⱦamsіn Says:

ROTFLMAOOOOOO…. I’m in tears!!! What a crock of steaming hot shitt!!!! NOBODY, absolutely NOBODY would lap up that crap, no matter how many of the Ho’s spokeschannels try to shove this fax down our throats.
    So this is the best story the Ho’s PR team could come up with to deflect from being exposed after they broke their much valued 3-day rule, huh? And of course it serves a bigger purpose as she is shamelessly plugging both movies that are shot in the WWII era. The bytch could’ve said she uses Skype, and email like regular people but noooo… she always has to one-up everyone else with her lies and manipulations. And Bonnie Fuller says this Ho is “scary smart”? OMFG what a joke.
    PS: And it’s good to see that Jared collected that paycheck again… an entire month without a new PR paid post is not a good marketing strategy. :D

21. 21
    Phool. Says:

Common wouldn’t mind Serena Williams ‘do over’
    ========================================

Many relationship experts have emphasized the importance of timing when it comes to making a love connection that will last, and Common thinks that might be the reason he and Serena Williams didn’t work out.
    “When we broke up it was just one of those things where we weren’t ready at that time,” he recently told “The Rickey Smiley Morning Show.”
    Normally when talking about past relationships, many want to leave the past in the past, but Common made it very clear that if ever he could do a “do-over” with any of his exes, that woman would be ex Serena.
    However, he also has a great appreciation for Erykah Badu, who he dated back in 2000. He referred to her as the sexiest woman in the world, from her beautiful eyes all the way to her great body. Common said the way she carries all of that has men all mesmerized by her.
    Right now, the heartthrob is single and busy working on his 10th album, Nobody’s Smiling. In this album, Common uses his rhymes to talk and inform others about what’s going on in the inner city of Chicago where gun violence has ravaged the region.
    Some say that this album is better than Common’s album Be that was ranked one of his best work to date, and Common couldn’t agree more.
    “I might have to put this up there with Be. It doesn’t sound like Be or anything I’ve ever done but it’s a great piece of art,” he said.
    With his album already out, Common is turning some of his attention back to acting.

He’s working on a film called Selma, produced by Oprah Winfrey and Brad Pitt, focusing on the life of Martin Luther King Jr. and the Civil Rights Movement. He also hinted that his character will be returning back on the AMC show “Hell on Wheels.”
    Shortcut to: http://s2smagazine.com/2014/07/30/common-wouldnt-mind-serena-williams-do-over/

22. 22
    Passing Through Says:

# 601 Phool. @ 07/31/2014 at 8:47 am
    How are you my dearest, I feeling much better now thank you for asking, apart from being blind as a bat and sick as a parrot for last week or so due to my migraine, all is well now LOL
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Phool -
    I hope you’re getting good drugs for your migraines. I was telling everyone yesterday that I had them for years but I’ve mainly grown out of them. Still have on occasionally but not as bad as when I was younger. Sometimes that happens, but I know a lot of people who’ve had them their whole life. Glad your feeling better!

23. 23
    Phool. Says:

#valis202 @ 07/31/2014 at 12:35 pm

Valis, there is no need to disrespect the Oompa Loompas, they may be short and orange, but god damn it they have talent in their little pinkies compared to a wannabe Oompa Loompa Squiggy.

24. 24
    @Phool/Fool Says:

WORKING hard for that money today…. Are you up to a $1.00 per post yet?

25. 25
    first and last post Says:

bringing over from previous thread…

# 663 first and last post @ 07/31/2014 at 12:44 pm
    @Phool.:
    Hi Phool,
    thank you for this article.
    re: “What have you learned from him?
    Jolie: I That every person, no matter how many mistakes he has accomplish great things and do good.”
    and AJ has done just that…she is living her own example…this is the crux of all lessons learned and why intelligent, sophisticated individuals don’t criticize or make light of actions past…this is how one at a young age figures out their personal limits and centers him/herself for the long term future…it always amazing to me how other adults don’t get it.
    Who hasn’t made mistakes, who hasn’t tried an experience like drugs and realized…”I don’t like it” or “this isn’t for me”…for some of us…LOL…we’ve even organically grown our own (this is for “auntie of a different niece” LOL)…it’s apart of growing up, apart of life, apart of separating oneself as a teen into the adult process, gaining independence by making personal decisions right or wrong, dangerous or safe and finding boundaries for our future life decisions. I can pretty much assess that those who disparage another’s past action have never dared to reach out because of fear…never felt comfortable with even truly “loving” because it’s scary…it’s easy to hate but more responsibility and a heavy burden to “love” another conditionally or unconditionally…unfortunately those who make it clear on their criticism of AJ’s past …any aspect they want make negative without substantiated foundation, experiential and/or educational expertise…especially on an anonymous blog LOL which is a cowardly act in itself… their imperception betrays them such that their comment in itself unbeknownst to them is a revelation into the many aspects of their own sheltered, closeted mind-set. It is an aspect of the “human character” the reader should feel sad about for the criticizer…not angry…they are already pathetic for wallowing in their own inability to get out of their bottomless pit of not being able to see either the positive side of another human being or dwelling on the “me”…aka my POV is always right and “I need to be recognized”. Furthermore, there is always at least one positive aspect of another individual if one gets to really know them one on one…even of the “criticizer”…everyone is who they are for a reason…good or bad.
    It is very clear why AJ admired and respected Zamperini…they indeed both went through similar “growing up” processes and survived them albeit by luck or sheer “personal” will…her quote says it all for any dullard to “get it”…and if they do not…something is seriously off track with them, not AJ.
    Hi to all JP supporters from around the world…especially to Jaye who I have posts in my edit folder which may or may not ever get posted LOL and to you Phool, haven’t read all pages but I gather you’ve been ill and I hope you are much better now. It can NEVER be said enough…thank you for all your efforts and time in bringing news articles to these threads.
    To LTJP, any “water cops” in your area yet??? and to the lovely “vickifromTexas” if you are lurking…hope you and family are well.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 794 » Show All