Channing Tatum Talks Prepping for Fatherhood with 'Vanity Fair'

Channing Tatum Talks Prepping for Fatherhood with 'Vanity Fair'

Channing Tatum opens up to Vanity Fair about becoming a dad in the latest issue of the magazine.

Here’s what the 33-year-old actor had to share with the mag:

On becoming a dad to newborn daughter Everly: “I don’t think you can prepare. It’s a bit of a freestyle.”

On why he won’t medicate Everly if she has learning disabilities: “I truly believe some people need medication. I did not. I did better at school when I was on it, but it made me a zombie. You become obsessive. Dexedrine, Adderall. It’s like any other drug. It’s like coke, or crystal meth. The more you do, the less it works. For a time, it would work well. Then it worked less and my pain was more. I would go through wild bouts of depression, horrible comedowns. I understand why kids kill themselves. I absolutely do. You feel terrible. You feel soul-less. I’d never do it to my child.”

On being a celebrity: “I worry about Bieber, man. That kid’s wildly talented. I hope he doesn’t fall down into the usual ways of young kids because it’s so hard for someone to be responsible when they’re not asked to be. We’re not asked to do things ourselves. You have someone there with a coffee. ‘You want food? I’ll get you food.’ I put my bag in the trunk yesterday—I can’t drive here—so my driver, great guy, Terry, amazing, I call him T-Bone, I drop my bag in and left the trunk open. And I get around to my door, and I’m like, ‘What the fuck am I doing? That’s not my behavior.’”

For more from Channing, visit VanityFair.com. Bigger cover inside…

channing tatum talks fatherhood to vanity fair 01

Jesse Grant/Getty

XFNVXERUERU458 @ 06/04/2013 at 10:40 am

… Unbelievable….Wow… My friend Emily has just married to a handsome wealthy black man. They met through ~~~BlàckWhìteHub. ℂom ~~ ~ ~~A Serious black white dating for black & white single s seeking interracial relationships, friendships, dating ,love and more.. So, if you want to look for people with which you can date, you are at the right place.You can meet(lawyers,busy professionals, benefactors. models, celebrities, etc….)If you are single, perhaps you can have a try.

snap crackle pop @ 06/04/2013 at 10:47 am

He’s not the mindless meathead I thought he was. Hope living in LA longterm doesn’t change him too much.

another Holloywood star talking out of his ass. “i didn’t like it or it didn’t work for me so it must be true”. why is it every time one of them have children they start to think they know best.

@Piper: It’s not like he’s giving advice. He’s giving his opinion based off of his own experience. He’s not saying don’t medicate your kids. Obviously what works for some doesn’t for others.

an opinion @ 06/04/2013 at 11:34 am

An action hero who can act. LOL please. He acts just like Bruce Willis acts by being charming. This is him talent being charming. There is nothing wrong but lets not pretend he is anything else.

Christopher Teoh Jing Xiang @ 06/04/2013 at 12:29 pm

Channing is overrated. We used to imagine him as the Hollywood hot hunks and his charming looks always mesmerizes his female fans!!! But after he got hitched with Jenna Dewan and have a baby girl Everly recently, he no longer possesses the charm he used to have on himself!!! I dunno whether he got Botox because I thought when he smiles, he seems awkward recently as his facial expression seems to be a bit HARDENED!!! by the way congrats for the little girl indeed!!! pray hard for this dude!!!

Say what you want about his acting but at least he’s not out there trying to be DiCaprio. The fact that he is married and committed makes him more interesting as a person and an actor. It’s a conscious effort to step up to the plate and be a man as opposed to a coddled actor in Hollyweird.

Something I’ve learned over my years of being a parent is that you should never say never. If you had asked me while I was holding my new little baby in my arms if he would end up on medication for mood disorders and learning disabilities I would have said no way would I ever do that. But when comes to a choice between a child who is completely non-functional or medicating as a good parent you SHOULD make the choice that is best for your child, not just hold to some ideals to may hold. I hope Channing becomes more open-minded in case one of his children does end up with problems that need to be medicated.

Brad Luvr @ 06/04/2013 at 3:00 pm

Love Him. He is so HOT and Cute. His wife is so LUCKY and He uses Romantic Toys for Couples from AthenaToysDotcom

Minmamamia @ 06/04/2013 at 3:57 pm

I never liked him much. But I’m starting to warm up to him, seems like a really sweet and decent man.

@Minmamamia: I feel the same way. Defeinitely don;t think he is a great actor but he seems like a genuinely decent guy who is grateful for his success. Can’t hate.

And the PR begins…look for the baby’s name to be announced articles, what’s it like to be a new mom articles, first baby pictures, how Channing is a new man, etc. etc. Squeeze all the PR out of it Tatums.

British Latin American @ 06/05/2013 at 2:53 pm

A meathead construction worker in disguise. Shame that he is actually a hollywood star.