Top Stories

Game of Thrones Latest News, Photos, and Videos

George R.R. Martin Reacts to HBO Scrapping 'Long Night' Series

George R.R. Martin, the author of the “Game of Thrones” book series, is speaking out on HBO’s decision to not move forward with the planned series that was going to star Naomi Watts.

The prequel series, which George has referred to as The Long Night, was set thousands of years before the events in Game of Thrones. While the pilot is not being picked up, HBO did pick up a different prequel series titled House of the Dragon.

“As exciting as the series order is, I would be remiss if I did not also mention the bad news. HBO also announced that it has decided not to proceed with the other successor show we had in development, the one I kept calling The Long Night (though it was, and remains, officially untitled), the pilot for which was shot in Northern Ireland last spring and summer,” George wrote on his blog.

“Set thousands of years before either Game of Thrones or House of the Dragon, and centered on the Starks and the White Walkers, the untitled pilot was written by Jane Goldman, directed by S.J. Clarkson, and starred Naomi Watts, Miranda Richardson, and a splendid cast. It goes without saying that I was saddened to hear the show would not be going to series,” he said. “Jane Goldman is a terrific screenwriter, and I enjoyed brainstorming with her. I do not know why HBO decided not to go to series on this one, but I do not think it had to do with House of the Dragon. This was never an either/or situation.”

“If television has room enough for multiple CSIs and Chicago shows… well, Westeros and Essos are a lot bigger, with thousands of years of history and enough tales and legends and characters for a dozen shows,” George wrote in his open letter. “Heartbreaking as it is to work for years on a pilot, to pour your blood and sweat and tears into it, and have it come to nought, it’s not at all uncommon. I’ve been there myself, more than once. I know Jane and her team are feeling the disappointment just now, and they have all my sympathy… with my thanks for all their hard work, and my good wishes for whatever they do next.”

READ MORE: Emilia Clarke Responds Negative to Backlash About ‘Game of Thrones’ Final Season

Emilia Clarke Reveals Who Is Responsible for the 'Game of Thrones' Coffee Cup - Watch!

After a Starbucks coffee cup infamously went viral for accidentally appearing in a Game of Thrones scene, Emilia Clarke is addressing the culprit once and for all!

The 33-year-old actress made an appearance on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon on Wednesday (October 30).

PHOTOS: Check out the latest pics of

During her appearance, Emilia addressed the infamous scene.

“So here’s the truth: we had a party before the Emmys, and Conleth [Hill], who plays Varys — who’s sitting next to me in that scene — he pulls me aside and he’s like, ‘Emilia, I have got to tell you something, love. The coffee cup was mine,’” she revealed.

“It was his! It was Conleth’s coffee cup! He said so. He said, ‘I think it was, I am sorry, darling. I didn’t want to say anything because it seemed the heat was very much on you.’”

Watch Emilia‘s revelation inside…

Pictured below: Emilia Clarke heads out while promoting her new movie on Wednesday (October 30) in New York City.

FYI: Emilia is wearing Dolce&Gabbana.

emilia clarke fallon october 2019 01
emilia clarke fallon october 2019 02
emilia clarke fallon october 2019 03
emilia clarke fallon october 2019 04
emilia clarke fallon october 2019 05

Game of Thrones Photo Gallery

Emilia Clarke Reacts to News That 'Game of Thrones' Prequel Show Was Dropped By HBO

Emilia Clarke steps out bright and early for a promo appearance to promote her new film Last Christmas on Wednesday (October 30) at Good Morning America in New York City.

The evening before, Emilia, who starred in every season of HBO’s Game of Thrones, reacted to the news that one of the GoT prequel shows had been scrapped by the network.

“I’m not really too sure [what happened],” Emilia told ET. “It’s difficult to get stuff made. I wonder. Maybe it’ll be reincarnated at some point, but if it wasn’t meant to happen now, then I’m sure it’s because they know that it wasn’t going to be as perfect as it should have been.”

After dropping one of the prequel shows, another was ordered by the network.

FYI: Emilia is wearing a Gabriela Hearst trench coat.

emilia clarke reacts to game of thrones prequel news 01
emilia clarke reacts to game of thrones prequel news 02
emilia clarke reacts to game of thrones prequel news 03
emilia clarke reacts to game of thrones prequel news 04
emilia clarke reacts to game of thrones prequel news 05

HBO Orders New 'Game of Thrones' Prequel Series After Dropping the Other One

HBO has announced that a Game of Thrones prequel series titled House of the Dragon has officially been ordered to series!

The network just passed on a different prequel series, which was led by Naomi Watts and had already filmed a pilot. This series will definitely be seen as it was given a series order.

House of the Dragon is set 300 years before the events in Game of Thrones and is focused on House Targaryen. The series was created by GOT author George R.R. Martin and Colony‘s Ryan Condal, who will write the script.

Miguel Sapochnik, who directed GOT‘s “Battle of the Bastards” episode and won an Emmy, will direct the pilot and additional episodes of the series.

“The Game of Thrones universe is so rich with stories,” HBO programming president Casey Bloys said (via THR). “We look forward to exploring the origins of House Targaryen and the earlier days of Westeros along with Miguel, Ryan and George.”

This is not one of the prequel series that had previously been in the works at HBO.

READ MORE: HBO Max Launch Date & Price Details Revealed

'Game of Thrones' Prequel Pilot Not Moving Forward at HBO

The highly anticipated Game of Thrones prequel series is not moving forward at HBO.

The show, which was supposed to star Naomi Watts, Miranda Richardson, and Denise Gough, is not going to series and HBO has declined to comment, Variety reports.

The series was supposed to take place thousands of years before the original show.

These are most of the details that we knew about the prequel pilot. Most of the details were kept under wraps.

No further details were made available at this time.

Emilia Clarke Responds Negative to Backlash About 'Game of Thrones' Final Season

Emilia Clarke strikes a fierce pose on Stellar‘s 150th issue, honoring strong women of the screen!

Here’s what the 32-year-old Game of Thrones actress shared with the mag:

PHOTOS: Check out the latest pics of Emilia Clarke

On the negative response to the final episodes of Game of Thrones: “Everyone is going to have their own opinion and they’re fully entitled to them. It’s art and it’s to be dissected and taken on in whatever individual way you wish… It sucks this wasn’t the perfect ending that people were hoping for, but I truly believe we would never have made everyone happy.”

On what playing Daenerys taught her about herself: “Oh my goodness, she taught me about lady balls. She taught me what it feels like to be in a room and be heard. She wielded such power, calmness and such poise. She had a fierce intensity and made some incredibly tough choices. In Season 3, she had to start busting some balls, and as a 25-year-old standing in front of 500 extras, 150 crew members, six cameras, a drone, dragons and fire, I had to bring it. I felt like if I can do that, then the red carpet doesn’t feel so scary to me at all. So there’s a certain kind of self-belief that rubs off on you as a person.”

On how she felt after Game Of Thrones finished filming: “It really was the greatest moment of my life, but there is an absolute freedom that Thrones has given me – a gift-wrapped present in a little bow saying, “You’re now financially secure enough to not have to panic, so what do you want to do?” That kind of freedom is wonderful. I could never see it during the time I was filming, because I was too close to it.”

For more from Emilia Clarke, head to StellarMag.com.au.

emilia clarke negative backlash about game of thrones final season